« | »

7 South Korean Web Sites Attacked Again

From those cyber warriors at the Associated Press:

Official says 7 S. Korean Web sites attacked again

By Hyung-jin Kim, Associated Press Writer

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korean Web sites were attacked again Thursday after a wave of Web site outages in the U.S. and South Korea that several officials suspect North Korea was behind.

Seven sites — one belonging to the government and the others to private entities — were attacked in the third round of cyber assaults, said Ku Kyo-young, an official from the state-run Korea Communications Commission.

Earlier in the day, the country’s leading computer security company, AhnLab, had warned of a new attack after analyzing a virus program that sent a flood of Internet traffic to paralyze Web sites in both South Korea and the United States…

Like previous ones, the latest assault was also caused by so-called denial of service attacks in which floods of computers try to connect to a single site at the same time, overwhelming the server, the commission official said.

Some South Korean sites hit in the past few days remained inaccessible or unstable on Thursday, including the National Cyber Security Center, affiliated with the main spy agency. No major disruptions, however, were reported.

"The damage from the latest attack appears to be limited because those sites took necessary measures to fend off the attack," Ku said.

Seoul’s main intelligence agency, the National Intelligence Service, informed members of parliament’s intelligence committee Wednesday that it believes North Korea or pro-Pyongyang forces were behind the cyber attacks, a lawmaker said.

Park Young-sun, a member of the committee, said Thursday that a senior intelligence official told her the NIS suspects the North because the country warned it won’t tolerate what it claimed were South Korean moves to participate in a U.S.-led cyber warfare exercise, according to a statement from the opposition Democratic Party…

U.S. authorities also eyed North Korea as the origin of the trouble, though they warned it would be difficult to identify the attackers quickly.

Three U.S. officials said while Internet addresses have been traced to North Korea, that does not necessarily mean the attack involved Kim Jong Il’s government in Pyongyang. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

South Korean media reported in May that North Korea was running a cyber warfare unit that tries to hack into U.S. and South Korean military networks to gather confidential information and disrupt service…

We suspect this is just the start of what will be a constant threat from that Worker’s Paradise.

U.S. authorities also eyed North Korea as the origin of the trouble, though they warned it would be difficult to identify the attackers quickly.

Three U.S. officials said while Internet addresses have been traced to North Korea, that does not necessarily mean the attack involved Kim Jong Il’s government in Pyongyang.

No, we certainly don’t want to annoy the North Koreans with any baseless allegation.

This article was posted by Steve on Thursday, July 9th, 2009. Comments are currently closed.

One Response to “7 South Korean Web Sites Attacked Again”

  1. beautyofreason says:

    No, we certainly don’t want to annoy the North Koreans with any baseless allegation.

    Yeah, because goodness knows the country that encourages citizens to eat grass for its nutritional value has computers in every public space.

    North Korea turns pitch black in satellite photos taken at night, in stark contrast to the brightly lit countries of South Korea and Japan. Few people use the roads in the capital and few can access technology, much less afford it.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »