« | »

Al Qaeda Denies Threat That Closed US Embassies

From the Agence France Presse:

Al-Qaeda in Yemen denies US claims on attack plots

August 27, 2013

Al-Qaeda in Yemen has denied US allegations it is plotting massive attacks that prompted the closure of Western missions in the country this month, in a statement posted online.

The extremist network also denied reports confirmed by Yemen’s President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi that US intelligence services had intercepted a conversation between Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri and Nasser al-Wuhayshi, head of the Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

"Hadi repeated the nonsense and propaganda published by US intelligence on telephone calls between jihadist leaders to justify the US plot to kill Muslims in Yemen through continued raids," AQAP said in the statement posted on jihadist Internet forums.

Hadi had "claimed the jihadists were plotting to target oil terminals in the country using bomb-laden trucks," said AQAP.

Besides, why would an attack on an oil terminal in Yemen necessitate the closure of 20 diplomatic missions across the whole Middle East and elsewhere?

"We deny what he said and regard it as an attempt to justify US criminal practises…

Or to distract from ‘phony’ scandals.

A source close to Hadi quoted the Yemeni leader as saying Friday that in the alleged conversation between the Al-Qaeda leaders Wuhayshi told Zawahiri he would be hearing of something "that will change the course of history". …

Seizing an oil terminal would change the course of history? People are seizing oil terminals in Nigeria every day. Terrorists have tried to seize oil operations in Saudi Arabia, too.

In the remarks delivered Friday to police officers, Hadi said a bid to attack an oil terminal in Yemen had been foiled after the phone conversation between Wuhayshi and Zawahiri was intercepted.

On August 7, Yemen said it had foiled an Al-Qaeda plot to storm the Canadian-run Mina al-Dhaba oil terminal and seize the eastern Hadramawt provincial capital Al-Mukalla.

Hadi said authorities were still searching for the second explosives-packed truck but had arrested members of a cell who had helped "facilitate the operation".

The president said a wave of drone attacks during the past two weeks on suspected Al-Qaeda targets in Yemen killed 40 militants, including some ringleaders in the Sanaa region…

So an attack on an oil terminal by 40 terrorists using a couple of explosive laden trucks were going to change the course of history? It would be worse than 9/11, as we were also told at the time?

Still, what does it mean when it is easier to believe the terrorists running Al Qaeda than our own administration?

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Tuesday, August 27th, 2013. Comments are currently closed.

No Responses to “Al Qaeda Denies Threat That Closed US Embassies”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »