« | »

Al Qaeda Was Behind US Consulate Attack

From their allies at the Associated Press:

Istanbul Police Chief Celalettin Cerrah (4th L, using mobile ...

Istanbul Police Chief Celalettin Cerrah (4th L, using mobile phone) and other security officials inspect the bodies of police officers in front of the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul July 9, 2008.

Turkey suspects al-Qaida in attack on US consulate

By SUZAN FRASER, Associated Press Writer

ISTANBUL, Turkey – Turkish police say they suspect al-Qaida is behind the attack on the U.S. consulate in Istanbul.

Armed men opened fire on Turkish police guarding the consulate’s entrance, killing three policemen. Three assailants were also killed.

A police official in Istanbul told the Associated Press Wednesday that authorities suspect al-Qaida is behind the attack. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief journalists on the investigation…

Men armed with pistols and shotguns attacked a police guard post outside the U.S. consulate in Istanbul on Wednesday, sparking a gunbattle that left three attackers and three officers dead.

Turkish and U.S. officials called the shooting a terrorist attack…

Footage from a security camera at the site showed four armed and bearded men emerging from a car and killing a traffic policeman, then running toward a guard post some 50 yards away as other policemen fired back, the Dogan news agency reported.

The shootout caused panic and scattered people who were waiting in a line for visas. U.S. security personnel went inside the compound because they are not authorized to engage in armed action on Turkish soil, Dogan said.

A fourth policeman and the driver of a towing vehicle were wounded in the attack, Istanbul Gov. Muammer Guler said.

U.S. Ambassador Ross Wilson said the consul general in Istanbul, Sharon Wiener, told him that that consulate staff were "safe and accounted for."

At least two of the attackers were Turkish nationals, Guler said. Police said they were pursuing a fourth attacker who escaped in a car after the attack outside the high-walled consulate compound in the residential Istinye district around 11 a.m.

"There is no claim of responsibility so far," Interior Minister Besir Atalay said at the scene…

This sure sounds a lot like the attack the Taliban did upon the Indian Embassy in Kabul.

Maybe it is a new way for these heroes to stay in the news.

This article was posted by Steve on Wednesday, July 9th, 2008. Comments are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Al Qaeda Was Behind US Consulate Attack”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »