« | »

Al Qaeda’s #2 In Yemen Claims He’s Still Alive

From a bemused Associated Press:

Al-Qaida’s No. 2 in Yemen Says in Audio He’s Alive

By MAAMOUN YOUSSEF | Mon October 22, 2012

CAIRO - A man claiming to be al-Qaida’s No. 2 in Yemen released an audio denying reports that he had died in a U.S. drone attack, as Yemeni officials said Monday that another [different] top member of the terror network was killed in a drone strike earlier this month.

The authenticity of the clip, purportedly made by Saeed al-Shihri, could not be confirmed. It was produced by al-Qaida’s media arm in Yemen, al-Malahem, and posted on militant websites late Sunday. When top members of al-Qaida are killed, the militants will frequently report their "martyrdom." …

Al-Shihri fought in Afghanistan and spent six years in the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, before being released in 2007 and going through Saudi Arabia’s famous "rehabilitation" institutes. He fled to Yemen and became deputy to Nasser al-Wahishi, the leader of the group known also as al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

Yemeni officials had claimed that al-Shihri and six others traveling with him died in a Sep. 10 strike on their vehicle. The missile was believed to have been fired by a U.S.-operated, unmanned drone aircraft.

But shortly after the announcement, the Saudi newspaper Asharq al-Awsat quoted an unnamed senior Yemeni defense ministry official as saying that DNA tests of the body have proved that the dead man was not al-Shihri…

Meanwhile, we have been sometimes told that the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi was intended to be revenge for Shihri’s death. When we weren’t told it was all due to a movie.

The audio also alluded to a U.S-produced anti-Islam film that gained prominence in mid-September — after al-Shihri’s reported death — and sparked protests across the Muslim world…

It’s great to see that Al Qaeda and the Obama administration are on the same page.

And speaking of bad timing, we also have this from Iran’s state controlled Fars News Agency:

Iran’s Nuclear Rights Acknowledged by Obama

Monday 22 Oct 2012

TEHRAN (FNA)- Senior Iranian parliamentary sources revealed on Saturday that the Swiss envoy to Tehran has quoted US President Barack Obama as acknowledging Iran’s nuclear rights.

Swiss Ambassador to Tehran Livia Leu Agosti attended a meeting with senior Iranian foreign ministry officials a few days ago to submit a letter from the US president to Tehran leaders.

Because the US does not have diplomatic relations with Iran.

Vice-Chairman of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Hossein Ebrahimi told FNA that during the meeting, Agosti had told the Iranian officials that President Barack Obama recognizes Iran’s right of access and use of the nuclear technology.

"There are a couple of points with regard to this (US) message (to Iran)," Ebrahimi said and added, "Firstly, during the session to submit the message, the Swiss ambassador to Tehran quoted the US president as saying that ‘we (the US) recognize your nuclear rights’."

As regards the second issue, the lawmaker said that the Swiss diplomat had also quoted Obama as saying that "I didn’t want to impose sanctions on your central bank but I had no options but to approve it since a Congress majority had approved the decision."

For the record, this is not the first time FARS has reported that an American official agreed to accept Iran’s rights to nuclear technology.

As we noted back in January 2007, FARS reported:

Kerry Backs Up Iran’s N. Rights

2007-01-28

TEHRAN (Fars News Agency) – Former US presidential nominee John Kerry voiced full support for the Islamic Republic’s right to use civilian nuclear technology on the basis of the rules and regulations of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NTP).

Addressing a world Economic Forum meeting in Davos Switzerland on Saturday, Kerry also strongly rejected West’s demanded prerequisites for the resumption of nuclear talks with Iran…

"We should give up pessimism and pick up a realistic view," he said, and further stressed the need for the US to change its policies towards the world countries and issues…

And, lest we forget, Mr. Kerry is widely reported to be Mr. Obama’s next Secretary Of State.

Of course, after hearing Obama’s open mic comments to Russia’s Medvedev, we don’t know whom to believe, the Iranians or our own government. Which is quite a sad testimony.

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Monday, October 22nd, 2012. Comments are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Al Qaeda’s #2 In Yemen Claims He’s Still Alive”

  1. Right of the People

    Good to see the Saudi rehab worked so well. Maybe if he tells us where he is the Obummer can take another shot at him.

  2. canary

    The Obama administration lied when they claimed they killed Al-Qaida number two in Dec 2010.

    So, how many of the reports that a key Al-Qaida was killed from a drone bomb are not true.

    Pakistan and terrorists are going to go along with U.S. believing someone is killed, because then America will quit looking for the terrorist.

    There are plenty of Muslims willing to pretend they are a key Al-Qaida terrorist and get word out where they are to martyr themselves so some cowardly leader can live and hide like Osama Bin Laden.




« Front Page | To Top
« | »