« | »

AP: Malaysia Plane Recovery Operation Stumbles Forward

From a strangely flowery Associated Press:

Malaysia plane recovery operation stumbles forward

By DMITRY LOVETSKY | July 21, 2014

HRABOVE, Ukraine (AP) — The chaotic Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 recovery effort stumbled again Monday, with more bodies found at the sprawling crash site but a worrisome power outage in the refrigerated train holding over 200 of the dead.

The shambolic [sic!] attempts to investigate by the pro-Russia separatists who control the verdant [sic!] farmland where pieces of the plane crashed to Earth have fanned widespread international outrage, especially from the nations whose citizens were on the doomed plane. Four days after the jetliner was shot out of the sky, international investigators still had only limited access to the crash site in eastern Ukraine.

Unlike, say, the attack site at Benghazi.

Emergency workers piled 21 more black body bags from the blackened crash site by the side of the road Monday in Hrabove. That brought the total found to 272 of the 298 passengers and crew killed in the tragedy, according Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk.

The bodies were being sent to the refrigerated railcars in the nearby town of Torez, where the other bodies are being kept. But a train engineer told The Associated Press that the cars’ refrigeration had been off overnight and it was not immediately clear why. The cooling system was back up and running early Monday, he said.

That’s just the way Russians do things.

The smell of decomposing bodies was much more pronounced Monday at the Torez train station than a day earlier, when 196 bodies were put into the train cars. Four rebels armed with automatic weapons were standing guard around the cars.

Ukrainian officials say the plane was shot down by a mobile missile battery from a rebel-controlled area in eastern Ukraine. They said the BUK rocket launcher was supplied from Russia and operated by Russian personnel.

The United States presented what it called "powerful" evidence Sunday that the rebels shot down the Boeing 777 with a Russian surface-to-air missile. That evidence included video of a rocket launcher, one surface-to-air missile missing, leaving the likely launch site; imagery showing the firing; phone calls claiming credit for the strike and phone recordings said to reveal a cover-up at the crash site…

To our mind that is pretty conclusive. Except we would doubt that the ‘rebels’ actually did the firing. The SA-11 ‘Gadfly (which is what the US calls these Surface To Air missile launchers) is a fairly technologically sophisticated weapon.

The Russians wouldn’t just hand it to even their most loyal thugs. They would send their own personnel to operate it. So we agree with the Ukrainian assessment.

Putin lashed out against those criticisms again Monday, accusing others of exploiting the downing of the plane for "mercenary objectives." Putin said Russia was doing everything possible to allow a team of experts from the International Civil Aviation Organization, a U.N. agency, to investigate the scene. He again criticized the Ukraine government authorities in Kiev for reigniting the fighting with the pro-Russia rebels who control the crash site.

"We can say with confidence that if fighting in eastern Ukraine had not been renewed on June 28, this tragedy would not have happened," Putin said. "Nobody should or does have a right to use this tragedy for such mercenary objectives." …

Rebel leader Alexander Borodai denied his fighters were trying to tamper with evidence at the site, saying the bodies would be turned over to a team of Malaysian experts. A group of investigators that included Malaysian officials was in Kiev, but said they wouldn’t go into rebel-held areas until they get better assurances about security…

Experts said even if investigators were granted access now to the site, it might be too late. "Even without any deliberate attempt at a cover-up, the crash site is already compromised in forensic terms," said Keir Giles, an associate fellow at the Chatham House think tank.

He said a reconstruction of the aircraft fuselage and wings would show how the missile struck the plane and what type it was. "If any aircraft parts have already been removed … this compromises the objectivity of the investigation," he said."

Once again we are reminded of Benghazi.

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Monday, July 21st, 2014. Comments are currently closed.

One Response to “AP: Malaysia Plane Recovery Operation Stumbles Forward”

  1. Flogging the monkey at the AP. You’d think at some point they’d run out of lies, spin and soiled toilet paper




« Front Page | To Top
« | »