« | »

Bin Laden Son-In-Law Trial Delayed By Sequester

From an unquestioning Bloomberg:

Bin Laden Son-in-Law Terror Case Seen Delayed by Budget

By Patricia Hurtado & Bob Van Voris | April 8, 2013

A Manhattan federal judge said it was “extremely troublesome” that the terrorism trial of Osama Bin Laden’s son-in-law could be delayed by across-the-board federal budget cuts.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan made the comment during a hearing today in the case of Sulaiman Abu Ghayth, Bin Laden’s former chief spokesman. Abu Ghayth is charged with conspiring to kill Americans before and after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He pleaded not guilty last month.

Lawyers for both sides suggested trial be delayed until 2014, in part because federal public defenders said they don’t have the ability to properly defend their client in such an international case given budget cuts and mandatory furloughs under so-called sequestration.

“I will take that into account but the irony is that it’s extremely troublesome to contemplate a case of this nature being delayed because of sequestration,” Kaplan said. “Let me say that it’s stunning.”

It’s not only stunning, it is preposterous. After all, are we really supposed to believe a 2% reduction in the increase in spending should cause the Justice Department to have to cut back on public defenders, who don’t cost much to begin with? (And it’s really only a 1% reduction, since it is only for half of 2013.)

Perhaps it’s another example of the Obama administration trying to make the sequester ‘cuts’ hurt as much as possible. And in very high profile ways.

But let’s pretend this is true. Then send Mr. Ghayth back to Guantanamo and give him a military tribunal trial. Problem solved.

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Tuesday, April 9th, 2013. Comments are currently closed.

No Responses to “Bin Laden Son-In-Law Trial Delayed By Sequester”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »