« | »

CA Sent 114K Botched O-Care Eligibility Notices

From an outraged Associated Press:

California health exchange scrambles to fix mailed eligibility notices

December 19, 2013

SACRAMENTO, Calif. –  The agency that runs California’s health insurance exchange is scrambling to correct a technical problem that left blank spaces in eligibility notices mailed to nearly 114,000 households, leading to consumer confusion just days ahead of the application deadline.

A Covered California spokeswoman said Wednesday that the botched notices were mailed between Nov. 22 and Dec. 7. They went to people who had signed up under the state’s rollout of the federal Affordable Care Act.

In some cases, the notices said the applicant was eligible for coverage but not eligible for something else that was unspecified, with only a blank space at the end of the sentence. The forms also omitted other key details, including tax credit amounts and whether the person was eligible for Medicaid, the state and federal health insurance program for lower-income people…

Try to imagine the suspense for the people getting those notices. Are they eligible for Medicaid or an ‘earned income’ tax credit (or food stamps or section eight housing or even their Obama-Phone) — or not? And they have to be on pins and needles, right here at Christmas time.

Agency spokeswoman Anne Gonzales characterized it as a technical problem that left blank spaces where text was supposed to be… Corrected notices will be mailed to the 113,847 affected households when the problem is fixed, but she said she did not know when that might be.

She sounds like a perfect government spokesperson.

In the meantime, the health exchange is urging applicants to go to its website to view their enrollment status, or contact the licensed insurance agent or assister who helped them sign up for coverage.

This is the second time in less than two weeks that Covered California has had to address a potential problem with enrollment. Last week, it announced a backlog of 25,000 paper applications that have to be processed by Monday so the applicants will have health insurance starting in the new year…

In reality, these paper applications are only used to apply for Obama-Care subsidies or Medicaid. So California is really sticking it to the poor and the rest of Obama’s core constituency.

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Thursday, December 19th, 2013. Comments are currently closed.

No Responses to “CA Sent 114K Botched O-Care Eligibility Notices”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »