« | »

Emails Said Terrorists Took Credit Within Hours

From Reuters:

(Click in enlarge)

White House told of militant claim two hours after Libya attack: emails

By Mark Hosenball | Tue October 23, 2012

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Officials at the White House and State Department were advised two hours after attackers assaulted the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 that an Islamic militant group had claimed credit for the attack, official emails show.

The emails, obtained by Reuters from government sources not connected with U.S. spy agencies or the State Department and who requested anonymity, specifically mention that the Libyan group called Ansar al-Sharia had asserted responsibility for the attacks.

The brief emails also show how U.S. diplomats described the attack, even as it was still under way, to Washington…

Which would have been redundant, since the State Department and other intelligence agencies were monitoring the seven hour attack in real time, via video and radio.

Spokesmen for the White House and State Department had no immediate response to requests for comments on the emails…

Hopefully, Jay Leno will ask Obama about these emails tonight. Or maybe the hosts at MTV will ask him about them on Friday.

The records obtained by Reuters consist of three emails dispatched by the State Department’s Operations Center to multiple government offices, including addresses at the White House, Pentagon, intelligence community and FBI, on the afternoon of September 11.

The first email, timed at 4:05 p.m. Washington time – or 10:05 p.m. Benghazi time, 20-30 minutes after the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission allegedly began – carried the subject line “U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi Under Attack” and the notation “SBU”, meaning “Sensitive But Unclassified.”

The text said the State Department’s regional security office had reported that the diplomatic mission in Benghazi was “under attack. Embassy in Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well.”

The message continued: “Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four … personnel are in the compound safe haven. The 17th of February militia is providing security support.”

That is a disgrace right there.

A second email, headed “Update 1: U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi” and timed 4:54 p.m. Washington time, said that the Embassy in Tripoli had reported that “the firing at the U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi had stopped and the compound had been cleared.” It said a “response team” was at the site attempting to locate missing personnel.

A third email, also marked SBU and sent at 6:07 p.m. Washington time, carried the subject line: “Update 2: Ansar al-Sharia Claims Responsibility for Benghazi Attack.”

The message reported: “Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli.”

Funny, how there is no mention in any of the three memos of any previous protests over the anti-Mohammed video.

While some information identifying recipients of this message was redacted from copies of the messages obtained by Reuters, a government source said that one of the addresses to which the message was sent was the White House Situation Room, the president’s secure command post.

Other addressees included intelligence and military units as well as one used by the FBI command center, the source said…

In fact, these emails would have gone to the White House Situation Room, the Pentagon, the FBI and the Director of National Intelligence and many other intelligence ‘desks.’ All told, about 300 to 400 national security personnel would have seen these emails.

It was not known what other messages were received by agencies in Washington from Libya that day about who might have been behind the attacks.

Intelligence experts caution that initial reports from the scene of any attack or disaster are often inaccurate…

Sure. These people might have been mistaken about being under attack. They might also have misunderstood the claims of responsibility being posted on the internet.

By the way, this morning on ‘Fox & Friends,’ Republican Senator Saxby Chambliss said that the Senate Select Committee On Intelligence had been trying to get these emails from the State Department for weeks. But they have been stonewalled.

Why is that, do you think? Haven’t we been told that the Obama administration wants to get the facts out as quickly and fully as possible?

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Wednesday, October 24th, 2012. Comments are currently closed.

3 Responses to “Emails Said Terrorists Took Credit Within Hours”

  1. canary

    Obama yawned and went to party in Las Vegas, BUT…Not until telling the Muslim World it was understandable to protest; just be sure and blame it on that “awful” video.

  2. This administration, from top to bottom, has been so emboldened by the fawning media and a plethora of mindless followers that they have finally arrived at a point where they think that they can lie with impunity and without consequence. This is just the tip of the iceberg. More information wil become available as the rats start jumping ship. The fact that they’ve been caught in a lie this big involving the death of an American ambassador should be weighing heavily on mid-level functionaries who don’t want to go to prison for covering for the 0.

    Sooner or later even the staunchest supporters of 0 will have to open their eyes and run for the dealmaking arm of the justice department. Only so much immunity to go around. Come one, come all and rat out the 0 before you find yourself sleeping in a small cage on a bunk bead over a guy named Rocko who thinks you have a “perdy mouth”. Who will be the one to throw Obama under the bus? Volunteers?

  3. Petronius

    No rescue for Benghazi!

    Even Gladstone’s regime could be shamed into sending a flying column to Khartoum in a last minute, desperate attempt to rescue Chinese Gordon and the Sudan from the grip of the Mahdi.

    But there was no rescue for Benghazi because Nerobama –– the man with the “spine of steel” and “glistening pectorals” –– has no shame.

    And because America has lost its sense of smell.

    Declinism is in full swing. It is America’s official policy. And “No rescue for Benghazi!” shall be its new motto.

    This is yet another sorry example of the opposition between the professed compassion and good intentions of Liberals versus the actual results of their actions, which are always to sacrifice innocent people and to punish people and rule them by brute force.

    Here we see one more miserable episode in the long, miserable history of Liberalism, one more set of Liberals who have turned their backs on innocent people and consigned them to torture and death. From Yalta to Operation Keelhaul to the Bay of Pigs to the evacuation of Saigon to the killing fields of Cambodia and South Africa to the Green Revolution to Benghazi –– it is always the same ugly story.

    It is the Liberals’ way.

    At his core, every Liberal is a heartless Bolshevik street thug and robber, and his ideal for society is blood on the cobblestones.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »