« | »

Four More Bush Judges Give Up On Confirmation

From an overjoyed Associated Press:

Incoming Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee Patrick Leahy.

Bush Judicial Nominees Withdraw

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a concession to the Senate’s new Democratic majority, four of President Bush’s appeals court appointees have asked to have their nominations withdrawn, Republican officials said Tuesday.

These officials said that William Haynes, William Myers and Terrence Boyle had all decided to abandon their quest for confirmation. Another nominee, Mike Wallace, let it be known last month that he, too, had asked Bush to withdraw his nomination.

Haynes is the Pentagon’s top lawyer, and was an architect of the Bush’s now-abandoned policy toward treatment of detainees in the war on terror. He had been tapped for the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Boyle is a federal judge in North Carolina, and his appointment to the 4th Circuit provoked opposition from Democrats who cited his rulings in civil rights and disability cases, as well as his higher-than-average turnover rate by higher courts.

William G. Myers III, nominated to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, sparked opposition from environmentalist organizations and their allies among Senate Democrats.

Wallace’s appointment to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals drew opposition from Democrats, civil rights groups and the American Bar Association.

It looks like they didn’t believe the Democrats’ claims about their new non-partisanship either.

Sadly, the ramifications from last November’s elections will be felt for many years.

This article was posted by Steve on Tuesday, January 9th, 2007. Comments are currently closed.

8 Responses to “Four More Bush Judges Give Up On Confirmation”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »