From the Associated Press:
Clinton leaves hospital after treatment for clot
By JOSH LEDERMAN | January 2, 2013
WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was released from a New York hospital on Wednesday, three days after doctors discovered a blood clot in her head.
Clinton’s medical team advised her Wednesday evening that she was making good progress on all fronts and said they are confident she will fully recover, said Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines.
What other "fronts" is she facing? And notice how dire they make this sound. When she found a clot back in 1998, she stayed on the campaign trail. (See below.)
Doctors had been treating Clinton with blood thinners to dissolve a clot in a vein that runs through the space between the brain and the skull behind the right ear.
(So don’t ask about any scars behind her ears.)
"She’s eager to get back to the office," Reines said in a statement, adding that the secretary and her family are grateful for the excellent care she received at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
Reines said details of when Clinton will return to work will be clarified in the coming days.
Clinton had been in the hospital since Sunday, when doctors discovered the clot on an MRI test during a follow-up exam stemming from a concussion she suffered earlier in December…
"A follow-up exam" makes it sound like she had had an earlier examination. Which, if true, was never reported.
Before being released from the hospital, Clinton was photographed Wednesday getting into a black van with her husband, Bill, Chelsea and a security contingent to be taken elsewhere on the sprawling hospital campus. The last time Clinton had been seen publicly was on Dec. 7.
Clinton’s physicians had said Monday that there was no neurological damage but that they planned to keep her in the hospital while they established the proper dose for the blood thinners. They said Clinton, 65, had been in good spirits and was engaging with doctors, family and aides…
Clinton suffered from a blood clot in 1998, midway through her husband’s second term as president, although that clot was located in her knee.
Which didn’t hold her back much at all. In fact, according to her own (ghost written) autobiography, ‘Living History,’ page 471:
When I got back to the White House, I called Dr. Connie Mariano, who, after a cursory look at my foot, whisked me off to Bethesda Naval Hospital to determine if I had developed a blood clot from my nonstop flying around the country. Sure enough, I had a big clot behind my right knee that required immediate treatment. Dr. Mariano told me to stay in bed taking blood thinners for at least a week. Although I wanted to take care of myself, I was determined not to cancel any of my campaign stops. So we compromised. She sent along a nurse to administer the medicine I needed and to monitor my condition.
And in Bill Clinton’s (ghost written) autobiography, "My Life," page 669:
When her foot became badly swollen during a campaign stop in New York, a blood clot was discovered behind her right knee and she was put on blood thinners. Dr. Mariano wanted her to stay in bed for a week, but she kept going, giving confidence as well as support to our candidates. I was really concerned about her, but she was determined to push on. As angry as she was with me, she was even more upset about what [Ken] Starr and the Republicans were trying to do.
Of course, Hillary was a lot younger then. But that shouldn’t really matter one way or the other with a blood clot.
In a possibly related story from last week, via the New York Post:
Benghazi penalties are bogus
By JOSH MARGOLIN | December 26, 2012
EXCLUSIVE – The four officials supposedly out of jobs because of their blunders in the run-up to the deadly Benghazi terror attack remain on the State Department payroll — and will all be back to work soon, The Post has learned.
The highest-ranking official caught up in the scandal, Assistant Secretary of State Eric Boswell, has not “resigned” from government service, as officials said last week. He is just switching desks. And the other three are simply on administrative leave and are expected back.
This could be why there was so much confusion in the prior media reports as to whether they had resigned or had been relieved of their duties.
The four were made out to be sacrificial lambs in the wake of a scathing report issued last week that found that the US compound in Benghazi, Libya, was left vulnerable to attack because of “grossly inadequate” security.
State Department leaders “didn’t come clean about Benghazi and now they’re not coming clean about these staff changes,” a source close to the situation told The Post., adding, the “public would be outraged over this.” …
In response to questions from The Post, the State Department would only reissue the carefully crafted statement put out last week.
Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton “has accepted Eric Boswell’s decision to resign as assistant secretary for diplomatic security, effective immediately.” What Nuland omitted was that Boswell gave up only the presidential appointment as assistant secretary, not his other portfolios.
The other officials — Deputy Assistant Secretaries Charlene Lamb and Raymond Maxwell, and a third who has not been identified — were found to have shown “performance inadequacies” but not “willful misconduct,” Pickering said, so they would not face discipline…
What a surprise, huh?
Still, if these four State Department Officials had actually been punished, they might have gone to the press with some embarrassing details that the Obama administration is trying to cover up. And we can’t have that.
This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Thursday, January 3rd, 2013. Comments are currently closed.