« | »

Karazi Demands US Attack Investigation

From a joyous Associated Press:

An Afghan boy is treated at a hospital in Jalalabad city, Afghanistan, Sunday, July 6, 2008 after he allegedly got injured by U.S.-led coalition airstrikes in Deh Bala district of Nangarhar province, east of Kabul.

Afghanistan orders investigation into US attack

By RAHIM FAIEZ, Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan – Afghanistan’s president has ordered an investigation into allegations that missiles from U.S. helicopters struck civilians, though the Ministry of Defense said Sunday that the attack killed or wounded 20 militants.

President Hamid Karzai ordered the defense and interior ministries, as well as local government officials, to investigate Friday’s attack in eastern Afghanistan…

Karzai’s statement quoted allegations from Gov. Tamin Nuristani, the governor of Nuristan province, as saying that 15 civilians were killed and seven wounded.

However, the Ministry of Defense on Sunday said up to 20 militants were killed and wounded in an air attack in Kunar province Friday. The area of the attack is on the border between Kunar and Nuristan, and both statements referred to the same incident.

The U.S.-led coalition insists those killed were militants who had previously attacked a NATO base with mortars. Despite Nuristani’s claims, a coalition statement said there are "no official reports of non-combatant injuries or casualties."

Meanwhile, the chief government official in the Deh Bala district of Nangarhar province said villagers reported that between 30 and 35 people walking in a group toward a wedding were killed in a bombing early Sunday. Up to 10 others were wounded, he said.

Haji Amishah Gul said the group was hit while resting in the shadow of a mountain. Those killed included men, women and children, he said.

No other officials could immediately confirm Gul’s claim because of the remote location of the incident. No hospitals reported receiving any of the wounded.

The U.S.-led coalition said an airstrike killed several militants in Nangarhar. Spokesman 1st Lt. Nathan Perry said he had no reports that civilians were among those killed.

Karzai’s statement appeared to indicate that Afghan civilians were fleeing in cars during the time of Friday’s airstrike by coalition helicopters because of a warning from the U.S. coalition.

"Coalition forces are saying that this operation was against armed insurgents in the area, but Gov. Nuristani is insisting that three hours before this airstrike the people were informed by international forces that they should leave the area because of a possible airstrike against insurgents," the statement said.

Perry said Sunday that military reports still indicated that Friday’s strike in Nuristan hit two vehicles carrying militants who had attacked a NATO base with mortars…

Here we go again.

Hopefully the US videotaped this incident. (Lest we forget, a recent and very similar claim was disproved by a videotape from a drone.)

Funny how we never see any photos of these injured "civilians" who are not of military age by Taliban standards.

An injured Afghan boy is put on a stretcher at a hospital in Jalalabad city, Afghanistan, Sunday, July 6, 2008 after he allegedly got injured by U.S.-led coalition airstrikes in Deh Bala district of Nangarhar province, east of Kabul.

Afghan women collect bloodstained clothes of injured persons at a hospital in Jalalabad city, Afghanistan, Sunday, July 6, 2008 after they allegedly got injured by U.S.-led coalition airstrikes in Deh Bala district of Nangarhar province, east of Kabul.

No, it was yet another ‘wedding party‘ that got bombed.

You’d think the Taliban could come up with another line after all these years.

This article was posted by Steve on Sunday, July 6th, 2008. Comments are currently closed.

No Responses to “Karazi Demands US Attack Investigation”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »