« | »

‘Katrina Victim’ Sues US For $3 Quadrillion

From a sympatheticAssociated Press:

Katrina’s victims ask for huge checks

By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN, Associated Press Writer Wed Jan 9

NEW ORLEANS – Hurricane Katrina’s victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

The total number — $3,014,170,389,176,410 — is the dollar figure so far sought from some 489,000 claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Of the total number of claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion

Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina’s devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task.

“There’s no way on earth you can figure it out,” he said. “The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country.”

The corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least $1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by businesses, including several insurance companies.

Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina’s destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm…

The Corps said it isn’t passing judgment on the merits of each claim. Federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much compensation is warranted.

“It’s important to the person who filed it, so we’re taking every single claim seriously,” Corps spokeswoman Amanda Jones said.

Hey, why not?

This is basically what they have been taught. They are owed everything — and more.

“The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country.”

No, no one has ever been involved in a flood before in the history of this country.

This article was posted by Steve on Wednesday, January 9th, 2008. Comments are currently closed.

25 Responses to “‘Katrina Victim’ Sues US For $3 Quadrillion”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »