« | »

Libyan Brief Requires ‘Suspension Of Disbelief’

From The Hill:

Clinton fails to convince Republicans on administration’s account of Libya attack

By Julian Pecquet | 09/20/12

Republican lawmakers left a closed-door briefing with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other officials on Thursday still unconvinced by the administration’s assessment that last week’s attack that killed four Americans in Libya wasn’t a premeditated act of terrorism.

“They’re trying to cover their behinds,” Rep. Bill Flores (R-Texas) told The Hill upon leaving the House briefing with Clinton, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter. Asked if they were successful, he said: “No.”

Lest we forget, Mr.Clapper, assured Congress back in February 2011 that the Muslim Brotherhood is ‘largely secular,’ and that they have eschewed violence, and that they even criticized Al Qaeda for its ‘perversion of Islam.’

On the Senate side, things were no different according to Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) “That is the most useless worthless briefing I have attended in a long time,” shortly after the administration officials made their case to the upper chamber.

“I really think they hurt themselves tremendously from the standpoint of trying to build trust," he told reporters. “It, if anything, built far greater distrust in what’s happening than in answering questions. It was pretty unbelievable.”

For his part, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said the information provided to lawmakers on Thursday was nothing new and that lack of information has become a trend with the White House.

"From this administration, I have never gotten information that I have not seen or heard before," McCain said. Including Thursday’s Libya briefing, the White House has maintained "a perfect record" in that regard, he added.

“I believe that it’s really a stretch — a long stretch — to believe that all of this by coincidence happened on 9/11,” Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) told The Hill after the briefing. He said his opinion hasn’t changed, “even though that’s not necessarily what they’re telling me.”

But Rep. Buck McKeon (R-Calif.), the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told reporters it was clear what happened in Benghazi last Tuesday.

It was a “planned, premeditated attack,” he said. “It’s pretty obvious [Stevens] did not have adequate security,” he added.

The administration’s previous claims the attack was simply a protest gone horribly wrong and current argument the attack was unplanned simply "sets our efforts back" to address al Qaeda’s growing influence in Libya, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) added…

Well, at least none of them said the briefing "required a willing suspension of disbelief," like Senator Clinton told General David Petraeus back in April 2008, when he reported that the surge in Iraq was working. (By the way, Hillary never apologized for that smear.)

Senate Intelligence Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) also defended the level of information the administration gave to lawmakers.

“I feel that we received a briefing that was comprehensive,” Feinstein told reporters…

Which tells you all you need to know about the Democrat chair of the Senate Intelligence committee.

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Friday, September 21st, 2012. Comments are currently closed.

One Response to “Libyan Brief Requires ‘Suspension Of Disbelief’”

  1. ilzito guacamolito

    ~ “I feel that we received a briefing that was comprehensive,” Feinstein told reporters… ~

    Yeah, right. I got a better ‘briefing’ reading the internet in the days after the attacks. She’s toeing the line after the smackdown she received when she spoke out about the egregious leaks from this WH.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »