« | »

Libyan President: Movie Did Not Cause Attack

From NBC News:

Libyan president to NBC: Anti-Islam film had ‘nothing to do with’ US Consulate attack

Wednesday Sept 26, 2012

An anti-Islam film that sparked violent protests in many countries had "nothing to do with" a deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi earlier this month, Libya’s president told NBC News.

In an exclusive interview with NBC News’ Ann Curry, President Mohamed Magarief discounted claims that the attack was in response to a movie produced in California and available on YouTube.

Is Mr. Magarief calling our President a liar?

He noted that the assault happened on Sept. 11 and that the video had been available for months before that. "Reaction should have been, if it was genuine, should have been six months earlier. So it was postponed until the 11th of September," he said. "They chose this date, 11th of September to carry a certain message."

Magarief said there were no protesters at the site before the attack, which he noted came in two assaults, first with rocket-propelled grenades on the consulate, then with mortars at a safe house…

Magarief told Curry that based on the accuracy of the assault, he believes the attackers must have had training and experience using the weapons. "It’s a pre-planned act of terrorism," he said, adding that the anti-Islam film had "nothing to do with this attack." …

But just try to imagine the shock for the average NBC viewer, who is hearing all of this for the first time.

Magarief said that while Libyans appeared to be behind the attack that "these Libyans do not represent the Libyan people or Libyan population in any sense of the word." …

More than 40 people have been questioned in connection with the incident, the Libyan leader told Curry…

You just have to know that this is not the response that Ann Curry was hoping for.

The Obama administration initially maintained that the attacks were directly linked to protests over the film.

In this case "initially" means for more than eight days.

Speaking on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sept. 16, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said: “What happened in Benghazi was in fact initially a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired hours before in Cairo, almost a copycat of the demonstrations against our facility in Cairo, prompted by the video.”

However, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney last week said it was "self-evident that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack."

Carney said this eight days after the attack. Apparently, it takes ‘self evident’ things quite a while to sink in.

Speaking before the United Nations General Assembly on Tuesday, President Barack Obama said: “There are no words that excuse the killing of innocent” people.

And yet Obama still refused to call it a terrorist attack. Or even a ‘man caused disaster.’

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Wednesday, September 26th, 2012. Comments are currently closed.

6 Responses to “Libyan President: Movie Did Not Cause Attack”

  1. ilzito guacamolito

    ~ The Obama administration initially maintained that the attacks were directly linked to protests over the film.

    In this case “initially” means for more than eight days. ~

    Didn’t 0 just tell The View that the administration is still investigating this? When in Hades are all of his lies going to catch up with him? It had better be by November 6th.

  2. Reality Bytes

    Question is will Al Queda take Obama’s tip with a few victory laps.

  3. canary

    We must agree that the attackers had training and experience using the weapons. I’ll go with the version the Libyan police and body guards took part in the attack.

    Where is the film from security cameras and cell phones. Or did 7 hours give them plenty of time to burn the evidence. There’s more than 3 pictures out there. There’s footage to include hearing what those crowds were saying as the U.S. Ambassadors dead body was dragged through the street with hundreds of cameras filming it.

    This will never be investigated by Libya or the U.S. under Obama.

    Al-Qaida probably promised the Libyan security with a lot of money or big pension for their families if they were to die as martyrs for allah, or survive taking off running allowing the intrusion.

    It’s 2012. They are pretending this was an attack in the prehistoric days.

    • canary

      Listening to the interview and what the Libyan President says is more telling.

      Libya, having only interviewed 40 people isn’t much to determine al-Qaida was behind, but
      is very significant. It’s not al-Qaida that’s trying to destroy us. It’s the religion of Islam that is trying to kill us.

      And it explains Obama blaming the film more than ever as our leaders and Libya’s leaders say it is not. Obama’s taking notes from OJ’s game plan.

      Oh. I listened to the interview which clearly points out the Libyan President is clear it had nothing to do with the film.

      “Hidden in the realm”. I’ll say. But, only ’40 individuals interviewed

  4. John Carter

    “The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam.” – Obama at the UN. There is a muslim in the White House. Is he expecting 72 young boys or 72 goats ?

  5. wirenut

    JUST WORDS, just words. Not justice.




« Front Page | To Top
« | »