« | »

Lockerbie Bomber: US Bribed Witness

From the Agence France-Pressee:

Abdel Basset al-Megrahi is seen in his room at a hospital in Tripoli in this September 9, 2009 file photo.

US paid reward to Lockerbie witness, legal papers claim

LONDON — A key witness in the conviction of the Lockerbie bomber was secretly paid up to two million dollars (1.4 million euros) in a deal approved by the US government, according to legal papers released Friday.

The claims were made in new documents published by Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi, which he maintains prove he is innocent of the 1988 bombing of a passenger jet over the Scottish town of Lockerbie, killing 270 people.

Megrahi abandoned an appeal against his conviction for the bombing after the Scottish government released him from prison last month on compassionate grounds because he is terminally ill with prostate cancer.

His lawyers said the documents released on the website www.megrahimystory.net were not produced at the trial but would have been used in an appeal.

Megrahi, who is being treated in a Libyan hospital, said: "I continue to protest my innocence — how could I fail to do so?"

The documents show that the US Department of Justice was asked to pay two million dollars to Tony Gauci, the Maltese shopkeeper who sold clothing found to have been in the suitcase that contained the bomb.

US authorities were also asked to pay Gauci’s brother Paul one million dollars for his role in identifying the clothing, although he did not give evidence at the trial.

The previously secret payments were uncovered by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC), which investigates possible miscarriages of justice.

The SCCRC found the information about the request for payments in the private diaries of detectives in the case, but not in their official notebooks.

It was unable to establish exactly how much the brothers received under the Department of Justice’s "reward-for-justice" programme but records show they received "substantial payments" after Megrahi’s trial…

Do notice that Mr. Megrahi is so close to death that he is able to set up a website, hire lawyers and begin establishing the groundwork for his lawsuit against the United States for reparations.

We sure didn’t see this coming.

This article was posted by Steve on Saturday, October 3rd, 2009. Comments are currently closed.

One Response to “Lockerbie Bomber: US Bribed Witness”

  1. Liberals Demise says:

    This sucker ain’t gonna die. He won’t even wither down to nothing like he should; with cancer eating away at his arse.

    What a thorn stuck in the kilt of Scotland!

« Front Page | To Top
« | »