« | »

Philippines Blast Kills 6 – Muslims Suspected

From those enablers of terror at Reuters:

Police seal off the area where suspected Muslim extremist exploded a bomb at the busy market of Tacurong city in southern Mindanao island. Twelve people were killed and at least 42 injured in a bomb blast in the southern Philippines, officials and police said.

Blast kills at least six in Philippines

October 10, 2006

MANILA (Reuters) – At least six people were killed and more than 40 were wounded in two separate bomb blasts in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, officials said, pointing to the possible involvement of Muslim militants.

Federico Dulay, police chief of North Cotabato province, said a homemade bomb, fashioned from a mortar round, killed 12 people and injured dozens when it exploded at around 8 p.m. (1200 GMT) during a festival in Makilala town.

"We are not ruling out anything, including a terrorist attack," he told reporters.

But Emmanuel Pinol, governor of the province, said six people were killed and 26 wounded when the bomb exploded in a bar in the town. He warned that a third explosion was likely.

"These attacks usually come in batches of three incidents," he told local radio.

Earlier on Tuesday, a powerful blast ripped through a public market in Tacurong city, around 50 km (30 miles) west of Makilala, wounding four people.

Local army commanders said both attacks could have been the handiwork of Muslim militants with links to Jemaah Islamiah (JI), a Southeast Asian militant group that seeks an Islamic superstate in parts of southeast Asia and Australia.

Colonel Ruperto Pabustan, army brigade commander in North Cotabato province, said the bombing in Makilala was "a signature JI attack".

Police said both bombs were made from mortar rounds and were detonated using a mobile phone. A previous blast in Tacurong in 2002 was also triggered by a phone…

Granted Muslims blowing up people anywhere in the world has long ago stopped being news.

This article was posted by Steve on Tuesday, October 10th, 2006. Comments are currently closed.

12 Responses to “Philippines Blast Kills 6 – Muslims Suspected”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »