« | »

Rice: Libya Attack Was Not Premeditated

From the Agence France-Presse:

Al-Qaeda says attack on U.S. consulate in Libya ‘revenge’ for death of its 2nd man

Saturday Sept 15, 2012

Dubai (AFP) – Al-Qaeda said the deadly attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya was in revenge for the killing of the network’s number two Sheikh Abu Yahya al-Libi, SITE Intelligence Group reported Saturday.

"The killing of Sheikh Abu Yahya only increased the enthusiasm and determination of the sons of (Libyan independence hero) Omar al-Mokhtar to take revenge upon those who attack our Prophet," Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula said in a statement, quoted by the US-based monitoring group.

Al-Qaeda’s Yemen-based offshoot did not claim direct responsibility for Tuesday’s attack on the US consulate in Benghazi that killed the US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other Americans.

But it stressed that "the uprising of our people in Libya, Egypt and Yemen against America and its embassies is a sign to notify the United States that its war is not directed against groups and organisations … but against the Islamic nation that has rebelled against injustice."

The statement comes four days after Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri issued a video eulogising Libi, his late deputy and propaganda chief who was killed in a drone strike in June…

And we also have this, via Reuters:

Libyan leader says 50 arrested in U.S. consulate attack

by Bill Trot | Sunday Sept 16, 2012

WASHINGTON – [Libya’s President] Mohammed Magarief said on Sunday that about 50 people have been arrested in connection with the deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi last week, which he said was planned by foreigners linked to al Qaeda…

Magarief, in an interview on CBS’s "Face the Nation," said some of those arrested were not Libyans and were linked to al Qaeda, the militant Muslim group that carried out the 9/11 attacks on the United States. Magarief, who became president of the national assembly after the bloody U.S.-backed ouster of Muammar Gaddafi, described others as affiliates or sympathizers.

"It was definitely planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago and they were planning criminal acts since their arrival," Magarief said, adding that some were from Mali and Algeria…

Magarief said there was little doubt the assault was planned rather than a spontaneous reaction to the video, citing the fact that it came on the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks…

And, lastly, from our old friend Jake Tapper at ABC News:

Ambassador Susan Rice: Libya Attack Not Premeditated

By Jake Tapper | Sunday Sept 16, 2012

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi last week was not premeditated, directly contradicting top Libyan officials who say the attack was planned in advance.

“Our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous – not a premeditated – response to what had transpired in Cairo,” Rice told me this morning on “This Week.”

Which regime should we believe? But just think how bad things are when the Libyans are giving out more reliable information than the White House.

And just think how the Libyans must feel, hearing a top American official calling their President a liar. Now that is real diplomacy. Not like that ‘cowboy’ Bush.

It looks like Susan Rice is determined to give Debbie Wasserman has some competition in the ‘Miss Alternate Universe Pageant.’ And lest we forget, Rice was one of ‘War Hens’ in the White House (along with Hillary and Valerie Jarrett), who pushed Obama into to the Libyan fiasco in the first place.

“In Cairo, as you know, a few hours earlier, there was a violent protest that was undertaken in reaction to this very offensive video that was disseminated,” Rice said, referring to protests in Egypt Tuesday over a film that depicts the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud…

“We believe that folks in Benghazi, a small number of people came to the embassy to – or to the consulate, rather, to replicate the sort of challenge that was posed in Cairo,” Rice said. “And then as that unfolded, it seems to have been hijacked, let us say, by some individual clusters of extremists who came with heavier weapons… And it then evolved from there.” …

Which contradicts Rice’s own statement. If extremists came with heavier weapons and hijacked an ongoing protest, it was premeditated. Or is logic not allowed in the Obama administration?

Unlike other embassies around the world, Rice said there were no Marines present last week to protect the consulate in Benghazi, or the main U.S. embassy in Tripoli, saying the U.S. presence there is “relatively new” since the revolution that overthrew former dictator Moammar Gadhafi.

“There are not Marines in every facility. That depends on the circumstances. That depends on the requirements,” Rice said. “Our presence in Tripoli, as in Benghazi, is relatively new, as you will recall. We’ve been back post-revolution only for a matter of months.”

Which would argue for the presence of Marines. Especially on the anniversary of 9/11. And especially after there had been warnings days in advance.

But Rice said there was a “substantial security presence” at the consulate in Benghazi, noting that two of the four Americans killed there were providing security.

Were they allowed to have bullets? We doubt it.

“We certainly are aware that Libya is a place where there have been increasingly some violent incidents,” Rice said. “The security personnel that the State Department thought were required were in place… It obviously didn’t prove sufficient to the – the nature of the attack and sufficient in that – in that moment.”

The State Department knew there had been "increasingly violent incidents in Libya," and still they didn’t have Marines at this consulate which is on the very front lines? What good are they then?

“But the president has been very clear. The protection of American personnel and facilities is and will remain our top priority,” Rice added. “That’s why we’ve reinforced our presence in Tripoli and elsewhere.”

Will they be allowed to have bullets?

Meanwhile, all of this nonsense is coming from the same woman some say will replace Hillary Clinton as Secretary Of State in Obama’s second term. Who is already bad enough.

This article was posted by Steve on Monday, September 17th, 2012. Comments are currently closed.

6 Responses to “Rice: Libya Attack Was Not Premeditated”

  1. Mithrandir says:

    Baghdad Bob’s are all over this administration. If you don’t believe one, they will drag out another one for ya. They keep selling you the same horse, but with a new salesman each time.

    It’s time to delete my Firefox icons: CNN, NY Times, CBS News, and just put my trust in Al Jazeera.

  2. Reality Bytes says:

    Any so called “Journalist” would retrace these atrocities using Twitter & Facebook. Even an idiot could do that & they did, those are the mindless blood skulls who showed up.

  3. Right of the People says:

    There needs to be a thorough house cleaning at Foggy Bottom. Except for the present executive branch it has to be the most far left, liberal branch of the government. It’s time we got someone running the place interested in protecting the rights of the United States instead of appeasing every jerk off, third world tinpot dictator.

  4. ilzito guacamolito says:

    Susan Rice, useful idiot.

  5. Reality Bytes says:

    “We Are Osama, Obama!” Thanks to Barry’s spunkin’ the football these past 16 months. I miss Cheney.

« Front Page | To Top
« | »