« | »

Taliban Keeps Afghan Voter Turnout Low

From an overjoyed New York Times:

Afghan Vote Marked by Light Turnout and Deadly Attacks

By ROD NORDLAND and ALISSA J. RUBIN
September 18, 2010

KABUL, Afghanistan — Hundreds of polling stations either closed or came under attack and at least 10 civilians were killed in Afghanistan’s parliamentary elections on Saturday, even as officials insisted the vote was generally safe nationwide.

The city of Kandahar seemed particularly hard hit. Explosions were heard every half hour through the morning, and 31 had occurred by mid-morning including rockets fired by insurgents, according to a security official there, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media. Kandahar Gov. Tooryalai Wesa toured polling places to encourage voters to turn out, but his own convoy was hit by a roadside bomb, slightly damaging his armored car but hurting no one.

Voter turnout was extremely low in Marja, the Helmand Province battleground, as bullets flew over the polling station near the district center, and insurgents launched a rocket-propelled grenade into the main United States Marine base here

Nationwide, authorities could only confirm that 92 percent of the planned 5,816 polling centers had opened as planned, and no word had been heard from the other 8 percent, raising concerns that security conditions had forced them to close, according to the Independent Election Commission. The commission had previously canceled about 1,000 polling centers because the authorities could not secure them

Is Mr. Holder advising Afghanistan on preventing voter intimidation?

Halfway through the voting day, even in a safe neighborhood of downtown Kabul, only 150 men and 130 women had cast their ballots at the Naderia High School

Still, Abdul Hadi, an observer for an incumbent, Anar Kally Hunaryaar, complained that observers at the high school greatly outnumbered voters. “Right here there are almost zero voters, and a thousand observers, it’s ridiculous,” he said.

Outside the capital, in the rural Guldara District in Kabul Province, village polling places were lightly attended. And in one spot, only four women voted, other than official election observers. In the more populated district center, however, 650 people, including 150 women, had voted, and others were streaming in an hour before polls closed at 4 p.m.

Perhaps Afghanistan needs a ‘Tea Party’ movement.

In Kandahar, the Taliban papered the city with nightletters [sic]on the eve of the election, warning people not to vote in “Americanized elections” and that anyone doing so would be a target. The letters, signed by the Taliban’s military commander for Kandahar, Al Haj Ahmad Sayid, gave two phone numbers, one for information about the warning, and another for complaints.

Hilarious. Now even the Taliban has a ‘complaints’ hotline.

By the way, notice how much the Taliban is sounding like our stateside unions. Except that they don’t have complaint numbers.

This article was posted by Steve on Saturday, September 18th, 2010. Comments are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Taliban Keeps Afghan Voter Turnout Low”

  1. canary says:

    Russia refused to let Afghans in their country vote. There is an up rising in radical muslims in the Balkins. The muslims are holding praise & prayer session in mosques sing songs praising bin Laden by name.

  2. proreason says:

    The Moron is green with envy.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »