« | »

Taliban Kills 12, NATO Suspends Joint Patrols

From Reuters:

Afghan militants say deadly blast was revenge for film

By Mirwais Harooni [sic] | Tuesday Sept 18, 2012

KABUL (Reuters) – Afghan militants claimed responsibility on Tuesday for a suicide bomb attack on a minivan carrying foreign workers that killed 12 people saying it was retaliation for a film mocking the Prophet Mohammad…

A film none of them have seen. But apparently, they do what US TV news.

On Tuesday, a suicide bomber blew up a minivan near the airport in the Afghan capital and a spokesman for the Hezb-e-Islami insurgent group claimed responsibility.

"A woman wearing a suicide vest blew herself up in response to the anti-Islam video," said militant spokesman Zubair Sediqqi. Police said the woman may have been driving a Toyota Corolla car rigged with explosives, which she triggered.

According to other reports the female bomber was 22 years old. But the Taliban have always been famous for their protection of women.

But the claim will raise fears that anger over the film will feed into deteriorating security as the United States and other Western countries try to protect their forces from a rash of so-called insider attacks by Afghan colleagues

There is no "security" to deteriorate if a 14 minute YouTube that nobody has seen can wreak so much havoc.

The outcry saddles U.S. President Barack Obama with an unexpected foreign policy headache as he campaigns for re-election in November, even though his administration has condemned the film as reprehensible and disgusting…

And after all, Obama’s re-election is all that matters.

Afghan police said among the 12 dead in the Kabul bomb attack were eight Russians and South Africans, mostly working for a foreign air charter company named ACS Ltd…

Well, they looked like Americans anyway.

Protesters also took to the streets in Pakistan and Indonesia on Monday and thousands also marched in Beirut, where a Hezbollah leader accused U.S. spy agencies of being behind events that have unleashed a wave of anti-Western sentiment in the Muslim and Arab world

So the US "spy agencies" made that YouTube?

Iran has condemned the film as offensive and vowed to pursue those responsible for making it. Iranian officials have demanded the United States apologize to Muslims, saying the film is only the latest in a series of Western insults aimed at Islam’s holy figures…

Oddly enough, Iran’s position sounds just like Mr. Obama’s and Mrs. Clinton’s.

Meanwhile, we also have this from Reuters:

NATO halts work with Afghan allies to stem insider attacks

By Jessica Donati and Rob Taylor | Tuesday Sept 18, 2012

KABUL (Reuters) – NATO ordered a cutback on Tuesday on operations with Afghan forces in response to a surge of so-called insider attacks on foreign servicemen, but said the restriction was temporary and would not derail a 2014 handover of security to Afghan forces…

Given that our current agreements with the Afghan government require all patrols to be done in partnership with Afghan forces, this effectively ends all US patrols.

It will be interesting to see how long "temporary" lasts. We suspect it will last at least until through the elections. When it will then be made permanent, if Obama has more ‘flexibility.’

But even a limited cutback is a major turnaround for NATO’s core mission of a strong training role for the 350,000 members of the Afghan security forces who will now have to cope with reduced support from the 100,000-strong NATO-led force backing the Afghan government against Taliban insurgents.

You mean the Taliban with whom we have been negotiating? The Taliban who we seem to be trying to return to power?

At least 51 members of the NATO force have been killed in insider attacks this year, in which Afghan police or soldiers have turned their weapons on their Western mentors. That represents a spike of more than 40 percent on similar incidents for the whole of last year.

Remember, we are fighting the war in Afghanistan exactly the way Obama and the Democrats said we had to fight this war. And look how well it’s turning out.

The order, which appeared to take several coalition members including Britain and Australia by surprise, was issued after weekend attacks by Afghan police in which six foreign soldiers were killed in the south, where the Taliban draw most support…

The Pentagon said in a statement the decision was reached with key Afghan leaders

And probably the Taliban.

This article was posted by Steve on Tuesday, September 18th, 2012. Comments are currently closed.

One Response to “Taliban Kills 12, NATO Suspends Joint Patrols”

  1. ilzito guacamolito says:

    ~ The outcry saddles U.S. President Barack Obama with an unexpected foreign policy headache as he campaigns for re-election in November, even though his administration has condemned the film as reprehensible and disgusting… ~

    This administration IS reprehensible and disgusting.

« Front Page | To Top
« | »