« | »

DC District Ct. Judges Free 30 Terrorists

From those tireless champions of justice (for terrorists) at the Associated Press:

Dozens of Gitmo detainees finally get day in court

By Pete Yost, Associated Press Writer Mon Nov 16

WASHINGTON – In courtrooms barred to the public, dozens of terror suspects are pleading for their freedom from the Guantanamo Bay prison, sometimes even testifying on their own behalf by video from the U.S. naval base in Cuba.

Complying with a Supreme Court ruling last year, 15 federal judges in the U.S. courthouse here are giving detainees their day in court after years behind bars half a world away from their homelands.

The judges have found the government’s evidence against 30 detainees wanting and ordered their release. That number could rise significantly because the judges are on track to hear challenges from dozens more prisoners.

Scooped up along with hard-core terrorist suspects in Afghanistan, Pakistan and elsewhere, these 30 detainees stand in stark contrast to the 10 prisoners whom the Obama administration targeted for prosecution Friday for plotting the Sept. 11 and other terrorist attacks. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the professed mastermind of 9/11, and four of his alleged henchmen are headed for a federal civilian trial in New York; five others, including a top suspect in the bombing of the USS Cole, will be tried by a military commission.

More detainees are expected to soon be added to the prosecution list. But there will still be plenty of cases left among the 215 detainees now at Guantanamo to keep the judges here busy as they work to clear a legal morass the Bush administration created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Bush administration Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld once promised Guantanamo held "the worst of the worst." The judges here have rejected pleas for release from eight detainees, but they have concluded the government doesn’t even have enough evidence to keep 30 other detainees behind bars.

"There is absolutely no reason for this court to presume that the facts contained in the government’s exhibits are accurate," District Judge Gladys Kessler wrote in ordering the release of Alla Ali Bin Ali Ahmed. He was repatriated to Yemen after a seven-year stay at Guantanamo, where he was brought as a teenager.

"Much of the factual material contained in those exhibits is hotly contested for a host of different reasons ranging from the fact that it contains second- and third-hand hearsay to allegations that it was obtained by torture to the fact that no statement purports to be a verbatim account of what was said," Kessler said. She ruled the government failed to prove the detainee was part of or substantially supported Taliban or al-Qaida forces.

The evidentiary record "is surprisingly bare," U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly wrote in ordering the release of Fouad Mahmoud Al Rabiah, a 50-year-old father of four from Kuwait who had been an aviation engineer for Kuwaiti Airways for 20 years. He has been imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay since 2002…

In the case of a detainee from Syria, Abdulrahim Abdul Razak Al Ginco, who uses the surname Janko, U.S. District Judge Richard Leon pointed to evidence that the man had been tortured repeatedly by al-Qaida for three months into falsely confessing that he was a U.S. spy, then jailed for 18 months by the Taliban in Kandahar before he fell into the hands of U.S. forces

One detainee who lost his bid for freedom was Adham Mohammed Ali Awad, taken into custody seven years ago when he was a teenager.

"It seems ludicrous to believe that he poses a security threat now, but that is not for me to say, " wrote U.S. District Judge James Robertson

The detainees’ hearings — which usually last a day or two apiece — are expected to go well into next year, unless the Obama administration finds homes for them in other countries in the meantime…

These are the habeas corpus hearings that Mr. Obama was arguing for in September 2006. And which the Supreme Court has subsequently forced upon the military.

Note that because of these harmless habeas corpus hearings, thirty detainees have been released, with plenty more sure to follow.

Are we really to believe that these 30 detainees were all innocent and that the military just somehow – in the words of Mr. Obama — “got the wrong man” in so many cases?

Of course, not.  But this is what was Mr. Obama, the ACLU, CAIR and their fellow travelers wanted all along.

By the way, isn’t it odd that the fact that these judges took it upon themselves to release 30 accused terrorists did not make the headline or even the first two paragraphs of this AP story?

It’s almost as if they are trying to bury these joyous tidings for some reason.

This article was posted by Steve on Monday, November 16th, 2009. Comments are currently closed.

7 Responses to “DC District Ct. Judges Free 30 Terrorists”

  1. MinnesotaRush says:

    So .. if any one of these released terrorists is scooped up again while they are attempting to kill Americans (military and/or civilian), will these idiot judges and the rest of the fools (including o-blah-blah and holder) connected to this travesty be charged as a accomplice’s in their terrorist pal’s attempt to murder?

    This is absolutely disgusting!!! What a slap in the face to our brave men and women in uniform!!! What a slap in the face to all decent Americans!!!

  2. proreason says:

    Release them to the streets where the judges’ live in their home towns.

  3. BillK says:

    Per usual, it will be entertaining to see how many of these are found in Afghanistan or Iraq killing our troops in three months’ time…

  4. Petronius says:

    “Much of the factual material contained in those exhibits is hotly contested for a host of different reasons ranging from the fact that it contains second- and third-hand hearsay to allegations that it was obtained by torture to the fact that no statement purports to be a verbatim account of what was said,” Judge Gladys Kessler said.

    But isn’t that going to be true in almost every case, including KSM and his four buddies who are scheduled for trial in Manhattan?

    These terrorists were not arrested by police. They were captured by American soldiers on foreign battlefields. So of course no police officers, forensic experts, or other witnesses are ever going to be available to offer first-hand testimony. Likewise there are no arrest reports, no chain of custody of evidence, no Miranda warnings and interrogation files, no DNA samples and blood test reports.

    For crying out loud. This is a war, stupid!

    The Liberal Death Wish is out of control, riding roughshod across America.

  5. Chuckk says:

    A Merry Christmas for Muslim terrorists.

  6. Right of the People says:

    As long as they release them from the back of a C130 at 35,000 feet with an Acme anvil parachute like Wile E. Coyote used I’m all for it.


« Front Page | To Top
« | »