« | »

US Resumes Using Blackwater For Convoys

From a disappointed Associated Press:

US Resumes Blackwater Convoys in Iraq

US Embassy Resumes Limited Convoy Movements With Blackwater Protection


American convoys under the protection of Blackwater USA resumed on Friday, four days after the U.S. Embassy suspended all land travel by its diplomats and other civilian officials in response to the alleged killing of civilians by the security firm.

A top aide to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki had earlier conceded it may prove difficult for the Iraqi government to follow through on threats to expel Blackwater and other Western security contractors.

The aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation into Sunday’s incident was ongoing, said a way out of the Blackwater crisis could be the payment of compensation to victims’ families and an agreement from all sides on a new set of ground rules for their operations in Iraq.

U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Mirembe Nantongo said the decision to resume land travel outside the heavily fortified Green Zone was made after consultations with the Iraqi governments. She said the convoys will be limited to essential missions…

Americans who were at the scene maintain they were taking fire before the car approached and fired back. Some insist the car exploded without being hit, the official said, declining to be identified before the investigation is final…

Gee, the “witnesses” want compensation. It sounds just like Haditha.

In any case, it doesn’t look like the Iraqi government can back up its claims or bluster.

This article was posted by Steve on Friday, September 21st, 2007. Comments are currently closed.

3 Responses to “US Resumes Using Blackwater For Convoys”

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.

« Front Page | To Top
« | »