« | »

WH Leaks Intel Source To Make Obama Look Good

From an unfazed New York Times:

Qaeda Leader’s Edict to Yemen Affiliate Is Said to Prompt Alert

By ERIC SCHMITT and MARK MAZZETTI | August 5, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration’s decision last week to close nearly two dozen diplomatic missions and issue a worldwide travel alert came after the United States intercepted electronic communications in which the head of Al Qaeda ordered the leader of the group’s affiliate in Yemen to carry out an attack as early as this past Sunday, according to American officials.

The intercepted conversations last week between Ayman al-Zawahri, who succeeded Osama bin Laden as the head of the global terrorist group, and Nasser al-Wuhayshi, the head of the Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, revealed what American intelligence officials and lawmakers have described as one of the most serious plots against American and Western interests since the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

Did you get that, Mr. al-Zawahri? You have to stop using that phone. It is being tapped.

American officials said that it was highly unusual for senior Qaeda leaders in Pakistan to discuss operational matters with the group’s affiliates. The communication between the two men seems to indicate that Mr. Zawahri — whom administration officials have portrayed as greatly diminished and hindered in running a global terror network while deep in hiding — still has a strong influence over a group in Yemen that has become Al Qaeda’s most powerful offshoot.

In recent weeks, counterterrorism officials said, Mr. Zawahri has elevated Mr. Wuhayshi to what one official described as the new “general manager” of the global terror network, making him the second most important man in the organization.

The identities of the two Qaeda leaders whose discussions were monitored and the imminent nature of the suspected plot — in the intercepts, the terrorists mentioned Sunday as the day that the attacks were to take place — help explain why the United States, as well as other Western governments, took such extraordinary steps in the past few days to close embassies and consulates in the Middle East and North Africa.

“This was significant because it was the big guys talking, and talking about very specific timing for an attack or attacks,” said one American official who had been briefed on the intelligence reports in recent days…

The Times is repeating their warning to Mr. Zawahri. Just in case he didn’t catch it the first time. ‘Stay off that phone!’

In an article posted on the Web on Friday and published on Saturday, The New York Times agreed to withhold the identities of the Qaeda leaders whose conversations were intercepted after senior American intelligence officials said the information could jeopardize their operations. The names were disclosed Sunday by McClatchy Newspapers, and after the government became aware of the article on Monday, it dropped its objections to The Times’s publishing the same information…

Of course, the White House dropped their objections. Nobody reads McClatchy. And they wanted this information gotten out. The only question is why did the Obama administration leak this information to McClatchy instead of the New York Times in the first place?

Maybe they didn’t want to be too obvious. After all, everyone now knows that The Times is their preferred conduit for leaking national security secrets to make Obama look good.

And never mind that by doing so, the White House has now burned yet another intel source. Mr. Zawahri won’t be using that cell phone anymore. Still, it’s a small price to pay if it makes this threat seem more credible. And it makes Obama look good.

This article was posted by Steve Gilbert on Tuesday, August 6th, 2013. Comments are currently closed.

One Response to “WH Leaks Intel Source To Make Obama Look Good”

  1. I don’t believe a word of any of these stories. I don’t believe Ayman al-Zawahri and his murderous friends are that damn stupid. After 12 years of dodging drones and not using electronic means to communicate, rather using hand passed notes and recorded videos tapes as Bin-Laden was, they want us to believe these people forgot we were listening in order to give the “go ahead” on the “largest attack in years”.

    I don’t buy it. It’s probably more like a kid telling his buddy, “watch this”, and calling in a bomb scare to the local school just to watch, and guage, the over-reaction to determine what works and what doesn’t.

    And just like the bomb scare caller, they sit back and laugh at the chaos they caused.

    My question is; what is the regime trying to distract us from?

    Maybe Li’l Hussein thought that since he and congress were going on vacation, he’d just give all the embassy staffs at least a weeks paid vacation.




« Front Page | To Top
« | »